Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ripples...One Year Later

Last year I heard the amazing, Bruce Coville speak at my very first SCBWI 2012 Summer Conference. Here are a few quotes from his keynote “Ripples in the Pond: Why What We Do Matters…and Matters…and Continues to Matter”:

"Start ripples throughout the world" and "You cannot know how you’ve affected the world; make ripples anyway."

Powerful words, right? Every time I hear them, I my heart melts.

I threw my tiny rock in the pond in 2010. That's when I attended my first ever writing conference, the Central Coast Writing Conference at Cuesta College. I met Children's Book Author, Merrily Kutner, who told our class that the best thing we could do for our career was to join SCBWI. So I did...

Fast forward to July 2011. My little pebble sat in the pond, stagnant. I longed to make a connection. I gathered up some courage and emailed another local SCBWIer I'd found online and invited her to coffee. I was nervous to meet someone this way, but I took the plunge anyway. We connected instantly. We attended the summer conference as buddies and enjoyed every breathtaking keynote together. One ripple.

A few weeks after the conference, feeling more inspired than ever, I stalked the SCBWI Critique Connections board, anxious to find a critique group in my area. As luck would have it, a new one was forming. One more ripple and then after a SCBWI Schmooze -- two more.

This summer I attended the Summer Conference again. This time I had made a few connections. But it didn't stop there. This year I found my courage. My courage to write. My courage to look inside my heart and will my true self out, the one I'd suppressed for many years.  I spoke with agents and authors who inspired me, hugged me, and nodded my way with eyes filled with a 'way-to-go' like shine. It was magical. I met other writers from across the nation. This time, I can't even count the ripples, and as Bruce said, I can't even imagine what kind of affect they will have on the world. I felt blessed to have attended this year. My true writing voice is ready to ooze out of my fingertips onto the page. I hope to continue sending ripples outward, that all started with a tiny, stationary pebble.

3 comments:

Anna Staniszewski said...

I love this! This sounds a lot like my writing journey. Each year has made me a little more experienced and confident. It's so great to look back and reflect.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Such an inspiring story. Sometimes it takes looking back to appreciate how far we've come. Continue enjoying the journey!

Mirka Breen said...

Every action has reverberations. Lovely image, especially as the pebble throwing is often associated negatively. I like your rippling pond being an SCBWI coffee date... who knew.